MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is the Minimoog sought after?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
analogcontrolfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Why is the Minimoog sought after? Reply with quote

What is it about the Minimoog that so many people are after one? And why has the demand for this classic driven the price up? I always thought synthesizers were suposed to depreciate in value not increase?
Steve Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it in the same terms as a vintage guitar - modern instruments do not have the same tone, they are ralatively rare and historic and hence increasingly valuable, and are rewarding and fascinating to play.
MoogMeister81

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did production of the model D Minimoog start in August of 1969?
THM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoogMeister81 wrote:
Did production of the model D Minimoog start in August of 1969?

The first Mini was built - you wouldn't believe it - out of crappy modules (or at least 2nd choice modules) which were found in the recycle bins of their MOOG Modular production. After the first model A there came two B's (one has been destroyed by a fire), four C's, and finally the D which was firstly showed at NAMM - June, 1971.
MC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model D production started in November 1970, check the "List and Charts" under Moog Archives.

By June 1971 over 100 model Ds had been made.
Bbbodie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Why is the Minimoog sought after? Reply with quote

analogcontrolfreak wrote:
What is it about the Minimoog that so many people are after one? And why has the demand for this classic driven the price up? I always thought synthesizers were suposed to depreciate in value not increase?

Same reason the stradivarius violins are highly sought after; it was the choice of components, the craftsman and the production (handmade) that made this violin the pinnacle of the violinists arsenal.

For the Minimoog (or most of the modular as well) the choice of components, the engineering done by Bob, and the craftsmanship...how many synths produced in the 70's still hold up today?...that make this the synth of choice. There has never been a fatter, more expressive, lead sound produced, and many, many manufacturers attempt to replicate the sound (proof - Access Virus OS 6.5 had the Moog LFO emulation added)...

I bought my first Moog (the Liberation) in 1982, had no idea what I had other than a wonderful 20# strap on...it was my introduction to Moog and a single oscillator synth. My Voyager is a wonderful synth and the heart of my production studio (http://www.rlowery.org/Projects.htm).

Suffice to say, the rare and once in a generation lightning strike is what the Moog was to modern music...if it weren't for the Moog and the first Gibson's amps and the first Fender Electric Bass Guitars with the innovative Strat and Tele...rock music would never have evolved as it has today.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary,

Bodie

BTW, I met Bob for the last time at Winter Namm this year, he was by far the most cordial and wonderful man I've ever met. I told him of my experience as a 12 year old riding over to the local library to rent time on a Minimoog back in 1973...it was an amazing talk.
analogcontrolfreak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bodie! I'm surprised that I am still getting replies for this thread. I would love to own a Minimoog, but the prices for them are too high even for me. Even the Voyager is out of my price range.
apollo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Why is the Minimoog sought after? Reply with quote

What is it about the Minimoog that so many people are after one? And why has the demand for this classic driven the price up?

You might not believe it, but this is actually the best sounding bass synthesizer (and no, the voyager does not do it quite as well). Also a very bright mid and high region. If you look for the minimoog sound, there is only one option, hence the price.
Mike from Munich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bodie! I'm surprised that I am still getting replies for this thread. I would love to own a Minimoog, but the prices for them are too high even for me. Even the Voyager is out of my price range.

I got a Minimoog Model D today from an auction in vintage condition. For 140 Euros!!!

I'm so lucky, you can't imagine!
analogbass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a ridiculous price, whoever was selling it had no idea. 15-20 years ago at the height of digital and before the rennaisance, it was easier to find bargains. Now, not so easy.

In lieu of a Mini, the most cost effective means of getting something like the same sound:

-Rack Voyager, as low as $1,500 on Ebay.
-Source, Prodigy, Rogue, Realistic.

Bob was a nice man, curious with varied interests, as is evident on the DVD Moog documentary.

Couldn't ask for a better embassador or spokesman.

Last edited by analogbass on Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
analogcontrolfreak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually all vintage moog synths are comanding high prices. There is a more of a demand then supply for moogs, or vintage synths in general.
analogbass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Moog prices are higher, which leaves the options above as the most cost-effective means of approximating a Mini, unless software's acceptable.

However, this guy's purchase at 140 E proves there are occasional exceptions. On Ebay some of the Minis can sometimes be gotten more cheaply, with patience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure if you work at it hard enough at finding a mini at a reasonable price. I thought when Bob Moog had introduced the Minimoog Voyager, this would have decresed the price of the orignal minimoog. But it didn't seem to have affected the price.

I had heard that Bob only devolped the Modular systems and the Minimoog. That all the other Moog synths produced, where after he had left Moog Music. That would explain why he only revied the mini, with the introduction of the Voyager.
analogbass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't do the Voyager only because of his involvement with the Mini; it was also because it had the highest sales potential and is relatively simple and cheaper to produce than a polyphonic, for example.
Mike from Munich

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Minimoog from a special auction. I don't know the english word for this special kind of auction, but if somebody doesn't pay his bills, then the police comes, takes some things away and these things are then for sale at the auction. Clear, what i mean? The german word is "Zwangsversteigerung".

So, i was lucky, that no other person at the auction knew, what a Minimoog is. And so i was lucky to get it for 140 Euros.

btw, the mini works perfect and it seems, that it had never been used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Minimoog All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: