MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moog source, no activity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Moog Discussion Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Moog source, no activity Reply with quote

My specimen has spent too much time in a hot, humid garage. With that in mind, I'm not expecting much from it, but wanted to pick someone's more knowledgable brain before resorting to declaring it deceased.

What happens to a Moog Source's memory when its battery has died? Does it revert to the presets or is it completely blanked? If it completely blanks, does that make the synthesizer useless?

Finally, if all the membrane buttons are shot, should I still be hearing a preset sound if I press the keyboard after I let the instrument warm up?

Any info is useful, thanks in advance.

-ch
electrojoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery goes dead, most of the settings go to zero.

to test the membrane, press a function, (Osc. 1 level for example)
and give the data wheel a spin.
the smaller display should change.

If there is no activity, it could be a badd membrane
or a digital control problem.

Let us know what you find.

GD
oldsynthguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chunter,

If it was stored in a humid location for a long time, you may have a rust problem too? Also, I think heat could cause the keyboard bushings to crack, though that's probably more likely to occur in dryer conditions.

I'm not sure if the parameter values actually go to zero when the battery dies. They may just become random. If your Source has no sounds or sounds which don't make musical sense (and are therefore probably not the ones intentionally programmed into it) then it's likely the battery's dead.

Like Electrojoe said, just press all the buttons on the panel. If the parameter values are all set to zero, change each of them using the wheel so they're different. Try switching back and forth between different parameters/values. If you press buttons which don't change displayed values then you've probably got a bad membrane panel, which is a serious problem as far as Source problems go.

Please email me privately if you need more information or give up on it. I'm always interested in buying broken or parts synths. Working synths too.

I hope this has helped. Good luck!
chunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: I really meant no activity... Reply with quote

When turned on, the program LED shows '1', the edit LED lights, the LED over Octave +1 lights, and the mod rate LED lights (solid, not blinking like I think it ought to) and, leading me to believe all the membrane switches are shot, none of them cause anything to appear in the LED counter by the data wheel.

I appreciate the help, I posted to make sure there would be a reason to start replacing the membrane switches in some way before I buy a ton of pushbuttons only to learn that a tanked memory can't be fixed.

Any more insights, advice, pointers, or otherwise links to information on how a Moog Source ought to behave (as well as what it does when it's broken) is much appreciated, and thank you all in advance.

-ch

PS- The advice so far is leading me towards getting a switch or two working to see if I can get a number to light up by the data wheel.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, that was really well explained and helpful

[url=][/url]

Wonderful work. I enjoyed read your site a lot.

[url=][/url]

Great site and great information.

[url=][/url]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Membrane Panels 79.00 on EBay Reply with quote

You can find Membrane Panels on E-bay to replace for 79.00 US.
NONE ARE UP NOW BUT FREQUENT VISITS MAY FIND ONE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Source that just recently decided to get a mind of its own - not crazy Source syndrome but for some reason will just not make any sound for days/months then will all of a sudden work perfectly again for a few months. I took it to an electronics store that works with synths and he couldn't figure it out although this was the first Source he had ever worked on.
Greg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops forgot to register and log in but I'm ok now!
gd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
oops forgot to register and log in but I'm ok now!
that was me again, damn!

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Moog Discussion Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: