MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memorymoog vs. Memorymoog Plus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogmaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Memorymoog vs. Memorymoog Plus Reply with quote

THM and mee3d have offered their thoughts and opinions on another
Moog site, and I thank them for that. I'm still interested in other thoughts
and opinions of the differences of the Memorymoog and the Memorymoog
Plus.

As always thank you for your time and reply.

Regards,
Harry
THM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still recommend a L.A.M.M. Memorymoog ( www.lintronics.de ) if you can find & afford one.
This Lintronics modifications will give your memorymoog a.o. stability (no oscillator drift), full MIDI implementation, and a filter input.
If you can't find/afford one, go for a Memorymoog+ as they are built with more stability than the basic Memorymoog's.
Brian G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are going to sound the same, the main difference other that updates that were performed to the boards)
is the Plus has MIDI and the sequencer. From what I’ve read there was an Auto Tune update that could be performed on any MM, one way to tell is when you use the arpegiator ones without the update only display number, with the update the display show up/down/ up&down/random or something like that : ). So like THM said, try and find a Plus, you can be pretty sure it’s had most of the updates on it, the higher the serial number the better Smile

The Lintronics is a great update/upgrade if you want to spend the money, for me right now I don’t Very Happy .

My Plus (need to get it working again ) was upgraded by it’s original owner to a Plus, my other one (also needs some work) is a plain old Memory without any updates.

When the plus was working, it was lot’s of fun to MIDI to the DX7 or D50. The Factory patch 21( Strings) is still one of my favorite patches.

Brian
moogmaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all that responded.

Harry
analogbass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only positives with the Plus version-no drift, no tech probs. Of course you'd want to leave it inside and not push your luck by gigging with it.

IMO the Linntronics is mainly helpful for speeding up and enhancing the midi and "cleaning up" the internals. Considering the cost, unlikely to be worth it unless it's one of the non-Plus versions which have no midi and in where most of the tech and drift problems seem to be found, or is a Plus with various problems that can be cleaned up as part of the work done.
eggwheat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience the plus version offeres no gain what-so-ever in fact I'd say it is more sluggish (when you have everything running)and probably less reliable.

Basically it adds two things a useless sequencer and a very bad MIDI interface. The two plusses I've had experience of locked up frequently.. Adding MIDI and the sequencer puts too much strain on the already stressed Z80. LAMM themselves rip the Plus additions straight out and put it back to the original Memorymoog version before doing any work.

Some Memorymoogs (plus and non-plus) have the auto-tune update implemented. With this update the memorymoog tunes better, with less need to calibrate it by hand and less 0-5 tuned messages. However it does nothing to stop Oscillator drift while playing.

There is absolutely no physical evidence inside a Plus that any serious improvements reliability wise or tuning drift wise were made. The plus sign does not indicate any more reliability. Plusses drift, plusses go wrong. All Memorymoogs vary greatly, some are very reliable with no mods, some are hell.

The best thing to do if you own an unreliable MM of any sort and you can't afford the LAMM or don't care for it, is to modify it yourself. Many upgrades can be done. Change the caps, rebuild the PSU, perform all the Moog bulletins, perform the auto-tune upgrade, update the OS. clean it up inside, get a better fan in there, improve the cooling, change the connectors...etc etc...if you really need MIDI, fit a Kenton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Memorymoog All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: