MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe it's *your* sincerity, Bob...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Remembering Bob
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fewtchure

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Maybe it's *your* sincerity, Bob... Reply with quote

I posted in another thread about the Moog Modular being my favorite musical instrument b/c I think it's the only one capable of conveying not only warmth, but genuine sincerity. Bob, you talked about the musician being one with their instrument, but what about the inventor? It comes through for me on "Here Comes the Sun" and even in those old Moogsploitation records that came after Switched on Bach. I think it's your heart and your sincerity there inside those early Modulars.

I was born the month/year of the Moog's invention and grew up in the same sonic sphere. Thanks again Bob for those magical sounds. Best wishes to the Moog family.
Modorange

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: I met Bob and he was really a nice man Reply with quote

I met Bob at a clinic at Berklee College of Music in 1987. Bob was an older guy back then, I was a displaced Okie going to Berklee in Boston. Talk about fish out of water! Anyway, Bob spoke about the importance of the musician in his inventions. He always was interested in how these talented musicians could make beautiful music with his inventions. Bob always diverted the attention away from himself and was an unassuming, kind person. I consider him to have been a sort-of "super-nerd".

Bob was a nerd, basically, and he was loved by all the musicians because many, many of the great keyboardists that he made sound good--actually he made them seem cool because they (Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Jan Hammer, etc) were using this new technology. This supernerd was giving these talented musicians clout by providing them with an additional outlet for their incredible keyboardistic skills.

During the clinic Bob was clear about how much he wanted to credit the musical genius that led to the importance of both the Moog Modular synths, and--perhaps more importantly--the Minimoog. Let's face it, without the Minimoog, there are a whole slew of recordings that simply put synths on the map. Modulars and Minimoogs and by themselves they ARE synthesis. And this unassuming, humble, really great man was behind it.

Bob, rest in peace, brother. All the way through to the point that his name was earned back for his company, and the new Voyagers and all the great component effects/modules that are being made today, they ARE OF GREAT QUALITY. These Moog devices will be making great music, with the important partnership of the great musicians who operate them--who Bob openly thanked and welcomed their friendship--for many, many years to come. I hope the company and the name will flourish.

I am very thankful I met him. I asked Bob about some of the technical aspects of synthesis, and he said maybe I should study engineering. I never did that, but I do have a Minimoog D and enjoy every moment playing it. There is an endless opportunity of creative musical flow that is available to us all thanks to Bob.
fewtchure

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the Minimoog was more important, but for some reason I like the sound of the modulars a bit better. Thought about it, and I wonder if the fact they were probably always "off" more in frequency added a bit of extra "warmth" to the sound Wink. Anyway, thanks again to Bob for all of 'em...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Remembering Bob All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: