MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini vs Multi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric coleridge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Mini vs Multi Reply with quote

Do any of you own both a Multi and a Mini?

I have read variously that the Multi does and doesn't make a good Mini stand in.

I have owned a Micro myself, and can absolutely attest to the difference in tone between a Micro and Mini. it didn't have the roundness and richness of tone that is the Minimoog sound. I don't know what the technical reason for this is. It seemed to be more that just a missing oscillator, but then, who knows.

But, I've read some descriptions from Multi owners who say the Multi (with 2 osc + sub osc.) has a much fuller tone than the Micro, and one that approaches a Minimoog's. Is this close to the truth?

I'm hoping that someone who owns, or has owned, both can give some testimony here.

Obviously, the Multi has many worthwhile attributes, many of which are lacking on a Minimoog, but I'd really like to know about it's sound from someone who has firsthand experience.

I think alot of people who have used the much more common Micro write off the much rarer Multi without actually having played one.

Anyone?
analogbass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Multi will have the same sound character, but with a thicker sound and the ability to de-tune. Just think of the difference with any 2-osc. synth, with one of the osc. turned off compared to hearing it with both on-that's the difference between a Micro and Multi.

Both a Micro & Multi have a good sound, but I wouldn't call it classic Moog. Unlike a Mini, Rogue, Prodigy, Source or Memorymoog, they don't have the same warmth. Everything else is similar, but without the warmth-they have more of a Prophet/CEM-based sound, darker but still quite good (Steve Winwood bass & leads). A nice feature with a Multi is the aftertouch on the keyboard.

Multi offers good sounds, however I sold mine in lieu of other Moogs, that were just a little better. For excellent Moog sounds on a budget get a Rogue.
moogmaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the multimoog is a very nice synth (I owned one). I believe, IMO it
is somewhat unfair to compare it to a minimoog.

The first time that I heard a minimoog in person, my multimoog was out the door along with my micromoog.

I'm not saying anything bad about the micro or the multi (in fact I wish
that I had the funds to retain all of them), but for me it came down to the
sound.

Granted, I'm a sucker for the minimoog sound.

Best Wishes,
Harry
Sweet Moth

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Mini vs Multi Reply with quote

I think they sound completely different as they are different (internally). The Mini is so much bigger in sound IMO. Obviously the Multi has more fuctions, but they really are two different synths. They're both great! Oh... and nothing to me tops a Minmoog. Not even a Voyager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Minimoog All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: