MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Minimoog Voyager 50th Anniv. Owner Needs Help w/Sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
l8rdood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: New Minimoog Voyager 50th Anniv. Owner Needs Help w/Sounds Reply with quote

I'm a newbie & I want to create that "Tom Sawyer" sound from Rush. I have the 50th Anniversary Edition with the glow in the dark panel. I need to know what sound name to start with & the settings to use. If anyone has that sound "nailed", plmk. Thanks in advance, Bill. Smile
analogbass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the answer you want, but if you want to understand programming it's better to take the time to find your way there..
jrlaudio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately ... you have the wrong instrument.

That sound was created on a Yamaha CS-80. The Mini (even the new one) while a wonderful machine does not have the modulation capabilities the CS-80 had. Not even close. While a very similar sound can be produced, there are at least 3 modulation schemes going on. One to the oscillators, one to the filters (two filter types were used on this sound) and another modulating the modulation sent to the filters. Also the "briliance" control on the CS-80 was being modulated as well I beleive, but I could be wrong.

The mini is not this type of synth with these kinds of modulation capabilities. It's a lead synth. A really cool one with the fatest sounds out there, BUt if your looking to produce that sound accurately, the Voyager just won't cut it. Now a MemoryMoog? There ya go! I could lend you one maybe. How about a IIIc, got one those as well. Well maybe its just to damn big! Smile

Incidentially, why did you buy such a wonderful synthesizer when it's clear you know nothing about synthesis. A factory patch user eh? Read bro! Check out Dr. Deutsch's book on Basic Synthesis. Read on the web. It's all out there to learn. Don't be a factory patch jockey ... create your own work ... be innovative and creative on your own.

John LeVasseur
moogmaniac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with reading the recommended book I would post asking about other books that have beneficial to others in your situation. There are
several available along with info that you can access via the internet.

Also, I would attempt to find a synthesist that would be willing to help you
understand what you will be reading with hands-on training. This approach
may cost you a little money, but in my opinion would be well worth it.

No matter how you decide to address your concern you can STILL enjoy
your synthesizer no matter what degree of expertise that you attain.

Best Wishes,
Harry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sound was done on a oberheim obx not a cs-80

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geddy said it was his new Taurus II pedals. Basically a Moog Rogue. The Tom Sawyer sound is easy to replicate on a Voyager but remember to add echo and reverb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L8rdood -

A new Minimoog Voyager site was started three months ago called SquareWave: The Voyager Resource. The purpose of the site is to give Voyager owners a place to upload and share patches, and collect and organize tips, advice and help on all-things-Voyager. This site is not in competition with the Moog Music Voyager forum, rather it is an additional resource for all Voyager owners that goes beyond what the Moog forum currently provides.

Among the many offerings, there's a Recommended Reading list posted in the Resource folder. Check it out at:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/

- Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Minimoog All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: