MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MemoryMoog tuning - use hex readouts, or digital meter probe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McMoog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: MemoryMoog tuning - use hex readouts, or digital meter probe Reply with quote

Hello all,

my first post to this forum. MemoryMoog tuning. I have a Plus.

I have become familiar with the tuning procedure/s using the poteniometers and the hex read out in the LCD. I have also noted another procedure details how a digital frequency meter can strobe certain 'outputs' on the voice boards to show frequency and needed tuning. This second way almost seems more straight forward to me. Given the availability of freq 'meters' back in 1982, perhaps that is why this method is not as well advertized in the service manual?

I would really like to hear from others about this. The MemoryMoog Plus I have just needs some TLC, and at this point is getting cleaned. It has no functional problems other than the tuning, a burned out LED over the Multi-trigger button, and memory slots 56-100 are bad. But of primary concern now is learning how to tune it.

And before someone mentions the LAMM thing - I have a second memorymoog (not a plus) that is being prepared for shipment to Germany for that. The Plus I mention above is the memorymoog I am 'learning' on.

Thanks.

Colin McDowell (aka McMoog)
MC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason why the meter/voice board output method wasn't broadcast.

VCO calibration using a digital frequency meter on voice board outputs requires a manual process alternating high/low keyboard notes, tweaking range, then scale, back and forth. Then you have to tweak the high end trimpot.

This process has to be repeated 18 times, 3 VCOs per six voice boards. That gets labor intensive.

The hex readout gives you range, scale, and high end information per VCO in one single automated data acquisition. The system essentially has an on-board digital frequency meter that does the measurement and high/low notes for you. Once you get range/scale within '7F' then tweaking the high end is easy.

The only minus with the hex readout is that with the hood open you need a mirror to see the digits, requiring you to learn to read hex numbers upside down in reverse image. However the LAMM upgrade reverses the digits for you.
McMoog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Memory Moog Plus tuning a success, onto stuck notes in Mono Reply with quote

Helllo all,

I have followed the instructions contained in the manual, and with a good deal of assistance from an experienced pal, my MM says '6 tuned'. Paradise.

Onto other matters - the voices stick on when I select Mono mode. When mono mode is turned off, the voices operate correctly. When I go back to Mono mode on, the voices all unison together, and track my playing. But when I release the note, all remain on, sounds like in the sustain segment of the ASDR.

Anyone have some tips? I am really enjoying being able to maintain this MM.

McMoog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Memorymoog All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: