MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Musonics Sonic Five

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Moog Discussion Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Talas2534

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Musonics Sonic Five Reply with quote

Any informations about the Musonics Sonic Five ( worth, historical significance) would be much appreciated. I've had the synth in my possession for the last three years and it's just taking up too much damn room. Anyone interested in pictures I will be more than happy to send 'em to ya. Please e-mail me with anything you guys have. thanks----Geoff
THM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the predecessor of the MOOG Sonic VI, isn't it ?
Sorry but this Sonic V was never the big commercial succes Musonics had hoped. MOOG took over the the same internal design but added - besides the new case - a pitch wheel and glide control (if I'm not wrong). The MOOG Sonic VI was contrary to the Sonic V a pretty big economic succes.

Sorry but I don't know about its worth nowadays; maybe you should try on Ebay with a pretty high starting bid and see what it gives - as this is a very rare synth; you could never know...
And a Sonic VI easily goes $700-800.

Good luck anyway !!
MC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic V did not have the Moog ladder filter - it had a diode filter to evade the patent.

By the time it evolved into the Sonic VI the diode filter was retained until the Moog ladder filter replaced it around serial #1216. And the suitcase design of the Sonic VI was originally one of the proposed cases for the Minimoog.

Apparently the Sonic VI had such a bad repair history that the warranty/service department at Moog Music called it the Sonic Sick.

It did have better modulation options than most monosynths and was better known as an FX synth rather than a melodic synth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to know the history behind the Moog sonic VI, read the SOS article below:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Mar02/articles/retrozone0302.asp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Moog Discussion Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: