MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wind type sounds & unwanted pulse sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlbertPark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Dig it! Reply with quote

Howdy,
I got my memorymoog new in about 1982 or so. It is not a plus version, and it has ALWAYS been damn unstable, but it never locks onto a note, as other MMs seem to occasionaly do. I used to gig with mone all the time, but now I just keep it in the studio.

Hey, when use it as a white noise generator to make wind type sounds, there always seems to be a pulsing sound to it, a rythmic type of sound. I can't seem to get rid of it, and since I'm trying to make wind sounds, a pulse SUCKS.

Got any ideas?[i][/i]
THM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to this board !!
I hope I understand it right, if so your problem could have several causes... Check these things:

* Is the arpeggiator accidentally "ON" ? Turn it "OFF".
* Do you perhaps use a saw or ramp or whatever other modulation source than triangle ? Use the triangle as source if you want softly upgoing and downgoing breezes, I mean without hearing real "knicks" when changing from up to down and vice versa).
* Is the modulation rate not too high ? Use a very low rate for slowly evolving breezes.
* Do you use the correct modulation destination ? I mean try out some different ones to hear the differences yourself; the destinations you have to use is actually depending on your own wishes.
* Is the 'Return to Zero' "ON" ? Turn it "OFF".

Is your problem gone now or still not ? If not, can you describe it a little more in detail ?
AlbertPark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Wind sounds and pulsing Reply with quote

Hi, Super many thanks for the info. I'm out of town right now, but when I return to my studio I will certainly try your ideas. You kindly gave me a few great ideas to try, so i am hopeful one of your ideas will help my problem.

Other then that, my MM is super great! yes, it has needed some occasional trips to get the tuning serviced, but other then that it has worked great for about 24 years, so I am happy!

I also play my SC Pro One a lot and love it. Chuck, our drummer, owns a great keyboard store called ANALOGUE HAVEN in Pomona, CA. So we have many great synths to play and record with.

I will write you again in a few weeks, when I have had time to try your ideas.

Thanks!!
Gayle

THM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome !!
eggwheat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dig it! Reply with quote

AlbertPark wrote:
Howdy,
I got my memorymoog new in about 1982 or so. It is not a plus version, and it has ALWAYS been damn unstable, but it never locks onto a note, as other MMs seem to occasionaly do. I used to gig with mone all the time, but now I just keep it in the studio.

Hey, when use it as a white noise generator to make wind type sounds, there always seems to be a pulsing sound to it, a rythmic type of sound. I can't seem to get rid of it, and since I'm trying to make wind sounds, a pulse SUCKS.

Got any ideas?

Yes, there is a fix: Moog Bulletin 842a deals with it, you basically swap out the 5837 noise generator for a 5437. Thes is more to it than that I think..but thats the basic idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Memorymoog All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: