MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vintage mini mood question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Moog Discussion Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Vintage mini mood question Reply with quote

hello everyone.

first time poster here. it was roughly 3 years ago when i found this site and it helped me to verify important information regarding my mini moog model d.

my unit is one of the first 25 built. it has the original ra moog logo. it was originally owned by david van koevering & subsequently by keith emerson. there are two serial numbers inside both of which lead to david van koevering as documented on this very site. this means this unit was modified with parts from other moogs mr. van koevering had in his possession.

i had the opportunity to ab test my unit with three other model d's and mine sonically blew the others out of the water. the fatness is unparalleled by anything i've ever heard.

any other mods besides the obvious exchange of parts i am not aware of, nor am i aware if keith emerson did anything to modify the unit to his specifications.

what i do know is this is a one of a kind piece that sounds incredible.

now my question is what is it worth. i need to place a value on it as i am thnking of putting it on the auction block, reluctantly i might add. thanks for any help on this.

best regards,
andrew.
THM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hard one 'cause opinions could be very different here...

To give an appr. price, my personal opinion would be this (I underline that this only a personal opinion, reckoning the average 2nd hand prices of "ordinary" Model D Mini's lately - as far as it isn't a crime to call them ordinary):

1 Is it fully working ? (of course imho a slight occasional detune is acceptable as it is a real old Mini)

$2500

2 Does it look acceptable (keeping in mind that this is a really old one) ? Small scratches and so are no major problem, but missing keys or pieces of wood do...

$1000

3 Extra's: rarity, age, mods, owned by... (some people are very sensible for these things, others less, so this condition is the hardest one)

$1500

So I'd say $5000 if all 3 conditions are fulfilled. Some people will accept that price, some will say I'm crazy. But as seller it's worth to try.

Good luck & cheers.
Andrew S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks THM for your response. to answer your questions yes it is fully operational and has been restored to its original state. spent 900 dollars on repairs. i will post pics and a detailed account of the repairs.

cosmetically it is in good shape, no missing pieces, very small burn mark on one key. that's it.

5000 is what i've been quoted but that was for a regular model d off the production line.

the other factors. the mods done to it by van koevering the fact that it's a prototype (one of the first 25 built) has pushed the value, according to someone i know who is knowledgeable and who i trust is fair with his evaluation, up to 20,000. this figure does NOT factor in keith emerson's ownership which can easily double the value imo.

i think this is a fair assessment of this vintage piece given its fascinating history.

what say you?
Andrew S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any other resource available where i can get a more accurate appraisal?

i'm sorta surprised at the lack of responses in this thread. 95 views and only one reply.

maybe this is the wrong board for this kind of request. any info to redirect me would be much appreciated.
THM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first two prices I gave (resp. $2500 and $1000 = total $3500) are the average prices I see on Ebay for a Minimoog Model D lately.
There's no specific source to find these back (except following the prices for synths on Ebay) - there's only something like www.prepal.com but imho these prices are far from up-to-date.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Moog Discussion Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: