MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimoog #1994 w/black switches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
balsampillow

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Minimoog #1994 w/black switches Reply with quote

I am the owner of the above mentioned minimoog, and am looking to sell it. It is in good cosmetic condition but needs work internally. When a key is played the oscillators are unstable and whine up and down in pitch.

The oddity about this unit is that instead of light blue switches on the panel, they are black. I have never seen another minimoog like this. Does anyone know what this is all about?

What is a minimoog in this condition worth (ballpark)?

Do the black switches give it some kind of special value?

Is it best to get the unit fixed and then sell, or sell it outright and let the next owner worry about it?

Thanks for any help.

Ray Lyon
analogbass

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you'll get quite a bit more by fixing it, ensuring everything else is 100% and having it calibrated. If you do that and if as you say it's in good condition, those factors coupled with the low serial number should ensure a good price on ebay. Over $2,000 easily for a low serial no. in good shape, $2,500 or more likely. As long as the repairs are $500 or less, which is probable, it will translate to a higher net price.
balsampillow

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I live very near Asheville, NC where the Moog biz is located... perhaps they do such repairs? If not, do you know a repair shop that services Minimoogs?

I still can't figure out the black rocker switches...
Sweet Moth

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Minimoog Reply with quote

Maybe analogbass is thinking your Minimoog is an RA or Musonics which could definately fetch more in price. Being that yours is in the #1994 I doubt it will even come close.
I also doubt your Minimoog's switches came that way from the factory, but I could be wrong. If its working well you might just live with it.
Replacing all those switches can get costly as thats a bit of labor.
balsampillow

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimoog Reply with quote

Sweet Moth wrote:
Maybe analogbass is thinking your Minimoog is an RA or Musonics which could definately fetch more in price. Being that yours is in the #1994 I doubt it will even come close.
I also doubt your Minimoog's switches came that way from the factory, but I could be wrong. If its working well you might just live with it.
Replacing all those switches can get costly as thats a bit of labor.

Not sure of your terminology... as I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to Minimoog lore. What is a "RA" or "Musonics" edition? And what serial number range?

What do you think a #1994, in repaired condition will fetch? (In spite of black switches)
Sweet Moth

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Minimoog Reply with quote

The RA Minimoogs were made when Bob Moog owned the company. These were the first models in production. Soon after RA Moog merged with Musonics. The models made between these periods (RA & Musonics)have some distinctive cosmetic & internal differences. Most Musonic models have the newer style pitch/mod section, but with clear wheels and different oscillator boards, etc. Besides looking similiar there were not too many of these models made.
When Moog Music Inc bought Moog Musonics the appearance began to change as well as the insides (nothing too drastic). Your model is early, but externally it does not have the above unless it was a frankinstein and has various parts of other Minimoogs inside. It does have a walnut cabinet like that of the early models which is common with Minimoogs with serial #'s under 3XXX.
It looks nice and original besides the black rocker switches. Obviously its still worth a pretty penny, but don't confuse your model with a real early one (RA or Musonics). Hope that helps.

Btw...most Minimoogs need servicing even if they seem to work well. New key bushings can always help as well.

Last edited by Sweet Moth on Mon May 29, 2006 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
balsampillow

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moth, thanks for the helpful info... Frankenstein! LOL!

I found out on the "Lords of the Mini" yahoo forum another unit #1965 has the black rocker switches as well. It must be one of of those cosmetic differences you were talking about, which would make it quite rare. ($$$?)

My unit needs service, do you have a suggestion of someone on the east coast? There's synthfool.com out west, but he is not accepting any repairs until at least 2007. Unbelievable policy disclaimer on his website!

cheers
Sweet Moth

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Minimoog Reply with quote

I've seen several Minimoogs from all eras with all black rocker switches, but really do not think they came from the factory that way. From my experience collectors are not looking for Minimoogs with all black switches.
You can try and sell your opinion on black rocker switches, but I think a restored Minimoog that works well & looks good will catch someones attention quicker.

I would suggest Kevin Lightner as he knows this stuff well, but you will wait and you will pay. Quality service is not quick or cheap. There are many techs out there, but few really offer quality work. You might try JL at the Cantos Music Foundation or Mike Bucki at Modusonics. I can tell you more techs to avoid. Smile
Sweet Moth

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Minimoog Reply with quote

What do you think a #1994, in repaired condition will fetch? (In spite of black switches)

Forgot to ad.. there is no set price on what this will sell for. If you have a price in mind you might stick to it and wait until you get it. If it is serviced maybe between $1800 and $2500. If Ebay is flooded with Minimoogs maybe less... who knows, but again don't think you're sitting on a gold mine with these black switches.
balsampillow

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kevin is the person at synthfool.com and you are right... you will wait and you will pay. I have contacted Moog Music here in Asheville and one of their techs is going to send me some suggestions. When I find a tech, I will post here for your take on it.

There are no mini's on ebay right now but now I see getting the unit serviced is no piece of cake. It's going to take a while to fix.

Thanks for your other suggestions and opinions!
balsampillow

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Minimoog Reply with quote

Sweet Moth wrote:
You might try JL at the Cantos Music Foundation or Mike Bucki at Modusonics. I can tell you more techs to avoid. Smile

I received a very nice reply from Mike Bucki at Musonics who said he would be willing to service the unit. He also had the following thoughts about the black switches (he worked at Moog Music during the "early" days)

"Regarding the black rocker switches, the first Minimoogs were built with parts they had on hand, so on the components on the earlier units were not necessarily consistent with the components of the later units. So some earlier units would most likely have used black switches, until the "marketing" department decided on the orange and blue switches used on the later units."

It seems that during that particular production run they were cobbling some parts to construct units.

Does anyone here have experience with Mike Bucki?
Sweet Moth

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Minimoog Reply with quote

One thing I can say is that even the earliest RA Minimoogs used blue & orange switches. Mike is right in that some Minimoogs did sometimes use various components on these models, but I have seen black switches on later models as well.
eric coleridge

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: MiniMoog Reply with quote

I have wanted to buy a Minimoog for a long time, and have decided the only way I could afford it is to buy one that needs work and fix it myself. So I was just wondering if you have decided to sell it and if you have an idea of a price. I would like to find a fix up for $1000-$1500 depending on the degree of work needed. thanks
rluther
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Black Rocker Switches Reply with quote

I just stopped by to clean out some of the spam, and noticed the posting about black rocker switches. The blue switches were used right from the very first production units. I do remember though, at one point in the early 70's we couldn't get blue switches and substituted black ones on a few Mini's. Your serial number would be from around that time.

Sorry about all the spam... I just upgraded phpBB to the latest version, hopefully that will help cut down the bot postings.

Roger
BrianK

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also seen white switches used at time, various color combinations. But they are always the right TYPE of rocker switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Minimoog All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: