MoogArchives.com Forum Index MoogArchives.com
Vintage Moog Information Exchange

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for info - JU Electonic Music Lab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Moog Discussion Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
where's the beast?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Looking for info - JU Electonic Music Lab Reply with quote

Hello there.
I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida near the JU campus.
I spent some time with a friend in and around the music department and have fond memories of the Electronic Music Lab there.

Does anybody in this fourm have info on the giant synthisizer?
rluther
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for info - JU Electonic Music Lab Reply with quote

where's the beast? wrote:
Hello there.
I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida near the JU campus.
I spent some time with a friend in and around the music department and have fond memories of the Electronic Music Lab there.

Does anybody in this fourm have info on the giant synthisizer?

A modular system was shipped to Jacksonville University on October 9, 1968. It was a modified System I with extra VCO's, VCA's, and filters.

If I remember right, William Hoskins was in charge of the electronic music studio at Jacksonville University at that time. Did you work with him?

Roger
where's the beast?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: JU Moog Reply with quote

William Hoskins was the faculty member over the studio.
I was 12, 13 , 14 at the time. I don't remember him personally.
My friend's parents were also on the faculty at JU, and we spent alot of time in the music department while they were having recitals, late classes, etc. My friend actually took some classes in analog patching and e-music therory. I actually still have 3 Polaroid snapshots of the studio.
There were two keyboards (one of them was not a Moog product).
There was a ribbon device. Outboard, I remember a pair of Shure mic mixers, a metronome and a box that was called a phase shifter?. There was a MiniMoog off to the side, and a rack of 1/4 inch patchcords.
I remember a buch of red tape around one of the modules, DANGER-TRIGGERS!!

How big was the program there? Is it still a program at the university?
Is the lab in working order or is it like the sensory deprivation tank in the basement covered in plastic?

I wonder....Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: JU Moog Reply with quote

Yes, I was a student of Will's beginning as a junior in high school - 1973. I enjoyed private lessons with him on the use of the University's Moog modular system IIIC. Will was a master of analogue synthesis and had a hand in designing the Moog Sonic 6.

He was a brilliant intellectual in many areas and an enlightened human being.

He also had a IIIC in his home studio along with various other instruments and recording equipment.

His Moog was sold to someone in California @1995 well into his retirement.

A student of Will's assumed the EM teaching post at JU following his retirement. The IIIC was eventually sold in order to fund digital equipment. The hours I spent with Will (my mentor) in that studio were incredible...

Joseph Williams

where's the beast? wrote:
William Hoskins was the faculty member over the studio.
I was 12, 13 , 14 at the time. I don't remember him personally.
My friend's parents were also on the faculty at JU, and we spent alot of time in the music department while they were having recitals, late classes, etc. My friend actually took some classes in analog patching and e-music therory. I actually still have 3 Polaroid snapshots of the studio.
There were two keyboards (one of them was not a Moog product).
There was a ribbon device. Outboard, I remember a pair of Shure mic mixers, a metronome and a box that was called a phase shifter?. There was a MiniMoog off to the side, and a rack of 1/4 inch patchcords.
I remember a buch of red tape around one of the modules, DANGER-TRIGGERS!!

How big was the program there? Is it still a program at the university?
Is the lab in working order or is it like the sensory deprivation tank in the basement covered in plastic?

I wonder....Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: JU MOOG IIIC & Will Hoskins... Reply with quote

BTW my email is dreamwaker@bellsouth.net if anyone has specific inquiries about Will Hoskins or the JU EM program.

Joseph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MoogArchives.com Forum Index -> Moog Discussion Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: